Saturday, December 6, 2008

SMCA over the past month

Okay, it has been WAY to long since I have updated this blog! I am so sorry! Time flies when you are having fun!!!! Here are a few snapshots of what has been happen at school this fall. We have been keeping busy for sure :)

Here I am with my roomates and co-teacher at the SMCA fall festival! "Calabunga dude!" The kids had a great time dressing up (we did too), playing games, eating candy, and taking a hay ride in the back of Pearl, our work truck!


My class and I all dressed up at the Fall Festival. You can see that we have a lot of fun together in school :)


For a unit on the Colonial time period I had my students make lanterns out of tin cans. This was just one of the many hands-on projects we did as we learned the trades and crafts of the colonists.

In culmination of our unit on the 13 colonies we had a colonial school day. My students and I dressed as traditionally as we could and I held school outside. We sat on wooden benches, wrote on slates, used hornbooks, and did oral recitations just as children growning up in the first 13 colonies would have done. In the afternoon we made homemade candles, butter, and learned how to write with quill pens. My hope was that this living history day would bring all that we had studied about the colonies to life for my students.

Here are four of the kids making hommade rolls. Mmm....

My mom was here that week and helped the kdis dip candles!

The boys shaking butter... this project turned out a little differently. Not sure if it was the Mexican cream or our shaking skills...

Colonial group shot

1 comment:

  1. So many fun pictures in your recent updates! I love seeing everything you're doing. And I love that your family got to come down and visit. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete