Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Dangerous Side of Mexico...

I'm a person who likes to try new things. I love the adventure of something new and unknown... even if it is a little gross. I like to be able to say that I at least tried something, even if I didn't end up liking it. This past week I got the opportunity to try something VERY new... Menudo. Menudo is a delacacy here in Mexico. It is brewed in the finest soup, seasoned with spicies, and loved by almost every Mexican I have met...It also happens to be cow stomach! I tried a bite and found myself chewing for a loooong time. The texture is rubbery and actually a little fuzzy... I'm glad to say that I have tried it, but would be perfectly happy to never try it again :)

Some of the deadliest creatures in the world live here in Mexico. On a fieldtrip with my students we were able to see one of the most dangerous centipedes alive! It is about 6 inches long and the one we saw was living in a glass cage in a nature center. If you get stung by one of these guys you do not have long to live... scary as that sounds, these critters can be found naturally in Monterrey. Some of the staff have seen them before!!! I'm just praying that this staff gal doesn't see one anytime soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment