Thursday, March 12, 2009

Encargada for a night....

Tonight was the funeral for Fernando from Casa Hogar Douglas. Several staff members and a group of college students from Florida went to the children's home to watch the kids while the encargadas were at the funeral. I went later in the day after school to help out.... Man! The job of an encargada is amazing! There were close to 20 of us watching nearly 80 kids and it was a lot of work. I spent most of my time with the little boys. There are 12 of these boys between the ages of 4 and 8 and they had more energy than a bolt of lightening! I loved it! Most of my life I have been living and working with little boys (thanks Masseys!). It was a joy to jump right into the chaos once again. My new friend Daniel and the book we read together.

During the chaos of the day I saw Daniel sitting my himself reading. I plopped down next to him and asked him if he would read to me. We had some great conversation about reptiles and he told me about his favorite animal... the shark. After our reading time Daniel made sure to say hi to me throughout the day... I'm realizing how important it is to take of these moments to be one on one with a child even in the midst of chaos. I'm excited for this new friendship :)

After a very active dinner, I and several gals from the Florida team took the little guys to there dorm to get ready for bed. By the grace of God we got 11 little boys in and out of the shower (and they used soap!!!), dressed in PJs, and reading their Bibles before bed... we did have a little incident of a bloody eye after a fall, but besides that the night went seamlessly.

Group member reading to cute kids!

Reading in the boys dorm.

My best helper was Tere. She is 18 and has lived at Douglass most of her life. While she assumes the role of encargada, she is so young at heart and desperately wants attention as well...

Tere and me

Tonight has opened my eyes to the life of an encargada. Wow! What a job. I can't imagine doing that every single night by myself... and that is what they do. Praise God for these caretakers and pray for their strength and encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment