Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Brokenhearted

This past Monday I was privileged to go to a Casa Hogar Del Norte to hold beautiful babies.... it is too little to say that my heart was broken by the experience.

There are seven babies under the age of one at this children's home along with many other older kids. My roomates and I went in the morning (it was MLK day so I was off of school) just to hold the babies. I spent most of my time with a four month old named Dante. He loved being held! The workers at the children's home love and care for these babies, but with so many kids and babies to care for these little ones spend a lot of time in thier cribs by themselves.

Baby Dante

Dante was full of smiles the minute he caught my gaze. He fed off of constant attention for the hour that I was with him. Several cribs away there was another little girl, slightly older. She seemed entirely unresponsive to whatever I would try to do to get her to laugh. She simply sat in my roomate's lap. I wondered if she was the victim of her mother's substance abuse. The most emotion I saw out of her was when we put her back in her crib. Then she bawled.

The worst part was leaving. We had to put the kids back in their cribs and both of these babies started pitifully crying. I couldn't help but think that I was just another person leaving in thier lives. I tried to comfort the babies as best I could before I scooted out the door, but they had been ruined by our attention and were desperate to find more. The caretakers just shrugged as I said I was sorry about the upset babies. They were working hard on getting lunch for the older kids before school. I sadly knew that the babies would just have to cry it out and learn to find comfort themselves. My heart is broken! A person must have to be really desperate to leave thier baby so alone. The little girl a few cribs down from Dante

Please pray! There are hundreds of orphans that we work with here, not to mention the thousands in this world. What a heartbreaking experience to be dropped of by your parents with perfect strangers... I know the wounds go deeper than we know.
Sleepy Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment