Monday, April 9, 2012

Dentist for a week :)

One thing I really like about my work is that it is never the same! I am constantly learning new skills and am challenged to be or do something that I have never done before, meanwhile helping little kids and showing them Christ love. It's great! 
Several weeks ago I had the chance to translate for a dentist who came down to serve. Let me tell you that before then, my dental vocabulary in Spanish was pretty much at zero. I quickly learned how to say cavity, filling, pulpotomy, etc.... some words I didn't even know in English! It was quite the challenge. 

Elisa getting a filling

A local dentist volunteered her time along with Marty, the dentist from the states. Between the two of them and Marty's wife, Dawn, about 60 kids were visited in 4 days. There were more fillings done than I can count and around 30 teeth pulled over the course of those few days.

Dawn and Marty hard at work. 
 Dawn and Marty put in some LONG days trying to see all the kids who had urgent dental needs. Dental needs in the children's homes and Rio areas are everywhere. Dawn and Marty saw kids from dawn to dusk and there were still many that couldn't been seen. Please pray. While Dawn and Marty were extremely helpful, this week was just a scratch in the surface in all the dental work that needs to be done in the kids we work with.
My Rio kids playing jump rope with Cheque while waiting their turn with the dentist. 
 I was especially excited because some of my kids from the literacy program in the Rio got to be seen by the dentists! For many this was a first time experience.

Vania from the Rio getting a filling

Naomi (another of my students) showing off her tooth that was just pulled. 

Helping  Dr. Marty with Dalia's teeth :) 
I was in the clinic with the dentists for several days primarily as a translator... however when the going gets tough and there are not enough hands to go around,... translator turns hygienist!

Luis' first time at the dentist. Pray for this little boy as he literally needs work done on every single one of his teeth! 
Praise God for the dental work He provided for these kids! Please continue to keep this need in your prayers :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment