Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thanksgiving at El Retiro Juvenil

I was privileged to go with a group out to ERJ children’s home the day before Thanksgiving. After a day of work and ropes course events, we came up to the cafeteria to see these friendly faces!!! 


A turkey :)
Pilgrims and a turkey

A pilgrim, or as Luis told me, "a north American"... I tried to explain to him that he was dressed as a north American from a LONG time ago and that most of us, don't really look like that anymore.... I'm not sure he totally got it! 

Some of the children were involved in a Thanksgiving play that night. I was touched to see all the hard work put into their costumes. Literally there were at least 3 encargadas working all day on the costumes. I remember my mom spending days making Indian outfits, or pioneer costumes for me and my brothers and sisters.  It was beautiful to see these kids getting the same treatment from their caretakers.  One thing I love about ERJ is that the directors and caretakers really treat the kids as their own. The costumes were well-made and very detailed and the kids were having the time of their lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment