Monday, August 30, 2010

Monse Turns 7

My little friend,  Monse, turns 7 on Saturday!!! Monse has come to our soup kitchen children’s classes for the past few years. This past year specifically I have begun to build a relationship with her. Monse comes from a troubled and very impoverished  home in the Rio and it has been made obvious that she needs positive attention! She often acts up in our Sunday school class and has a hard time obeying. Today I took Monse out, just her and I, to celebrate her 7th birthday! First, we went to a local store for her to pick out a birthday gift. She had been telling me since last Saturday that what she really wanted was a backpack with wheels because her books for school are just “too heavy.” Her neighbor told me that she often sees Monse dragging her bag down the dirt road. We looked in 4 stores for a backpack with wheels but had to settle for a normal backpack and a “backpack cart” to pull it on because we couldn’t find anything else.  She was VERY excited! After shopping we went to McDonalds to play and eat. She had the time of her life! Monse prayed for the meal (the first time I have heard her pray) and while she has munching on her hamburger I was able to speak some truth into her life about who she is and the big plans God has for her. Monse told me that she knows God is powerful and that she remembers the lessons we are teaching about the Armor of God, specifically about the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit. She also told me that one day she would like to be a doctor. I encouraged her that she could do that because she is very smart and talented.  I dropped Monse off at her home. She put her school books into her new backpack, and wheeled off to school as happy as could be. It is so fun to be able to bless Monse and pour into her. I am hoping to be able to take her out more often than just her birthday. Please continue to keep this precious girl in your prayers.


Monse with her newly purchased backpack
Monse, Ronald, and Me celebrating!!!

Enjoying a hamburger


Playing in the play land


Self portrait!

Monse in front of her house, ready for school! 

No comments:

Post a Comment