Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sierra Madre Christian Academy Fall 09

Last week marked the end of the first quarter of school! Where is the year going!!!! Along with Rio ministry this year I am also the social studies and science teacher for 4th and 7th graders at SMCA. I feel so privileged to be able to teach the subjects I love most once a week and then spend the rest of my time working in the Rio, with groups from the states, with jovens, etc... I am very blessed.
Here are a few photos of what has been happening in SMCA. This year we are doing an in depth study of botany for science class. The kids and I have spent many hours building light huts, germinating seeds, watering plants, etc... we have quite a little garden so far. We decided to plant a mixture of vegetables, flowers, and herbs and watch the growth process as we study it in class. The kids love what we are doing, as do I:)
Our light huts where we germinated our seeds. Our plants are now MUCH bigger!

Transplanting the plants that outgrew our light hut.

In social studies we are studying ancient world cultures. So far we have done an in depth study of creation and the book of Genesis. Then we looked at early Mesopotamian cultures. We are now midway through Ancient Egypt! It is so much fun!!!!!

Corinna dressed as a ancient Assyrian noblewoman.


My fourth graders preparing a Mesopotamian meal for us to try... it included grapes, apples, grape juice, and the Sebetu Rolls we made from a 3,000 year old recipe... very cool!

My students with our model of an Egyptian water clock.... it kept time for us for the rest of the day :)

Me, my roommate Becca, and Ruby and Jessica (the other SMCA teachers) all dressed up for the SMCA fall festival. We decided we would all come as condiments. I was mustard... can you tell? The kids loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment